See Section 23.5.6 of the University Calendar for details on deferring exams. Valid reasons for deferring an exam are:
- Incapacitating illness
- Family emergencies/domestic affliction
- Religious convictions
If these factors apply, students can apply to defer an exam. The deferral process is as follows:
- Complete application form (available at your Faculty office). This application must be supported by a University of Alberta Medical Statement form if the cause of the deferral is illness) or other documentation explaining the absence. The application must be presented to the Faculty within two working days following the missed examination, or as soon as you are able due to the circumstances underlying your absence.
- Have the application approved by the Dean or Delegate of your Faculty. Please note that your Faculty is not obligated to grant you a deferral. All deferrals are granted at the discretion of the Faculty.
- Your Faculty will inform the Department responsible for the course. The Department will then notify the instructor of the course in which the exam was deferred.
- Refer to the University Calendar for specific dates and deadlines, as well as where to pay fees for deferred final examinations. Always check with your Faculty for any faculty-specific requirements.
If you have further questions, contact the Office of the Student Ombuds for advice.